Epson printers are high-performing printers that enjoy a considerable market share. However, it is not as if its users have smooth sailing while working with it. Printer issues are common, one of the most widely reported ones being the Epson printer in error state. This message flashes on the computer screen of Epson users. Every person who uses the printer of this brand encounters this problem at some point in time. It can create much trouble for those who are using the device for work purposes. But it’s possible to bring the Epson printer out of the error state. In this article, you’ll find the probable reasons for this problem and techniques to fix it.
Related Post: Epson Printer Troubleshooting
What Causes Epson Printer in Error State?
One of the first questions that occur in the minds of people who experience this problem is why their printer is showing this error message. Given below are the most common reasons for this issue to arise.
- Many times, connectivity issues can occur as a result of a weak internet connection. For instance, if a person hasn’t placed their printing device in the signal range of the Wi-Fi network, they might encounter the error state in the Epson printer. Another instance when the problem can arise is when an object blocks the signals of the internet from coming to the printer.
- At times, the drivers or software of the Epson printing device aren’t correctly installed. It can make the printer go into an error state.
- When the Epson printer does not get a proper or an adequate supply of power, it can give the users an error state message.
- Printer drivers that are corrupt or not updated are another reason for your Epson printer in an error state.’ You need to update the drivers to their current version frequently. It will enable the printer to function smoothly. Printer drivers get corrupt when you don’t update them. Other reasons for the driver getting corrupted are a virus attack or a third-party application.
- Hardware in the Epson printer can lead to this problem.
- If the printing device isn’t properly linked to the system, it can result in this error state problem.
- If the printer has jammed pieces of paper, you may encounter the error state problem.
- People who use an incorrect ink cartridge will commonly encounter this problem.
Related Post: Epson printer not printing black
Fixes to Implement When Your Epson Printer is in Error State
Now that you know the reasons behind the Epson printer error state issue, you can proceed with the troubleshooting. There are numerous ways to deal with this issue. The most effective ones are listed below for you.
1. Run the Windows Troubleshooter
This tool helps users get rid of various errors, including this one. Proceed with the following instructions to use it effectively.
- Navigate to ‘Devices and Printers.’
- You’ll notice a window with a list of devices linked to your system. Locate your Epson printer and then right-click on it.
- Tap ‘Troubleshoot’ on the dropdown that appears.
- Allow the tool to identify and eliminate the problem. But if your problem doesn’t get resolved, navigate to ‘Settings’ and launch the ‘Devices’ section.
- Tap ‘Printers & Scanners.’
- Find your Epson device on the list that you see. If you don’t find it, click ‘Add a printer or scanner.’
- Windows will detect your device and give you instructions for installing it. Follow them carefully.
2. Resolve hardware issues
It’s important to fix hardware issues when the Epson printer is in an error state. Follow these steps for it.
- Firstly, check that your Epson device’s power cord is properly linked to the source.
- Now, find out if the USB cable is properly attached to the printing device. On noticing any sort of cable connection issue, connect a different USB cable to the printer.
- If you possess a Wi-Fi printer of Epson, check that you have correctly connected your Epson printer to the wireless network.
- After ensuring all these things, try printing a page.
3. Utilize original ink cartridges
One of the major reasons the Epson printer goes in an error state is incorrect ink cartridges. It’s highly recommended that you use original cartridges from Epson. Not only that, you should first look into the Epson printer manual to find suitable cartridges for your printer model. If you continue to use cartridges that aren’t original, you will keep encountering this error. You will also cause much damage to your printer in the process.
4. Check the printer connectivity.
It’s important to ascertain that there is a good connection between your printing device and the system. It will prevent the problem of the printer in an error state Epson. Some steps that you can follow to resolve the problem are laid below.
- Switch off the printing device and search for a paper jam.
- Close every tray correctly.
- If you encounter a paper jam problem, ensure to clean it gently.
- See for the warning of low ink on the printing device. In case of low ink levels, refill them.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi network of the printer and attempt to link it to another Wi-Fi. See if it resolves the problem.
- It is suggested that you employ another USB port to see if all the devices are properly connected.
5. Reboot your Epson printing device and Windows 10 system
Many Windows 10 users find the error state issue when they use the Epson printer. In this case, you can troubleshoot this issue with a reboot. Note that before you do it, you should stop every printing task. Then save your work and switch off your PC. Follow the steps below whenever you find the Epson printer in error state Windows 10.
- Halt all the printing jobs from your PC.
- Now, shut down your system.
- Cancel all printing jobs on your Epson device and then turn it off.
- Next, reboot the system.
- After that, switch on your Epson device.
- You won’t find your printer in an error state now. The issue will get resolved after you follow this whole process.
6. Update the printer driver
As mentioned before, a printer driver that is not updated is a major cause of this problem. But you can resolve the issue by installing the recent version of the printer driver on your computer. Although a Windows 10 system can check the latest printer driver version, you can also do so manually. Follow these steps for updating the printer driver.
- Launch the Windows Desktop.
- Right-tap on the product icon on your Windows taskbar.
- After that, tap on ‘Software Update.’
- Go to the ‘Utility’ tab in the window of printer settings.
- Tap ‘Driver update.’
7. Install the Epson printer driver again on Windows 10
If you’re a Windows 10 user and have an updated printer driver, you may still find the problem of printer is in an error state Epson. It’s because there might be some bugs in it. You can fix this problem by reinstalling the printer driver on your device. Follow these steps to reinstall the driver on your device.
- On your system, launch ‘Settings.’
- Click on ‘Devices’ and tap on ‘Printers & Scanners.’
- Choose your Epson printer and hit ‘Remove device.’ To confirm, tap ‘Yes.’
- Make sure that the printing device is turned on and is connected to your device.
- On the device, open ‘Settings.’
- Tap ‘Devices’ and choose ‘Printers & Scanners.’ Then click ‘Add a printer or scanner.’
- If you can view your printer in the window, select ‘Add device.’ The windows will install the driver.
- If you aren’t able to view your Epson printer, tap ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed.’ Now choose ‘Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.’
- Tap’ Next.’
- Select ‘Use an existing port.’
- From the dropdown list, select ‘USB001,’ and tap ‘Next.’
- Navigate to the ‘Manufacturer’ column and select ‘EPSON.’
- From the Printers column, choose your device and tap ‘Next.’
- Fill in the name of the printer and then tap ‘Next.’
- Tap ‘Do not share this printer,’ and click ‘Next.’
- Tap on ‘Print a test page.’
- Lastly, select ‘Close’ and hit ‘Finish.’
8. Install Windows updates
Another thing you can do on finding an Epson printer offline is to install updates. Follow these steps for it.
- Launch the ‘Start’ menu and open ‘Settings.’
- Go to the section of ‘Update & Security.’
- Hit ‘Windows update.’
- Click ‘Check’ for the button of ‘Updates.’
- All the available updates for your system will get installed.
Related Post: Epson printer error code 0x97
Hopefully, this comprehensive guide has provided you with various methods to troubleshoot the error state in the Epson printer. You can use them whenever you deal with this problem. But it may also happen that the error state problem continues to persist even after you implement the various techniques. In such a case, you can connect with Epson printer support. The experienced technicians will gladly assist you in resolving all problems related to this printer.
Related Post: Connect Epson printer to Wi-Fi